Respite care for older people and people with physical disabilities

Respite care is important to both carer and the cared for person. For the carer it provides a break from their normal caring routine. For the cared for person it is an opportunity to enjoy a different environment or activity. 

A Care Manager assesses the carer and cared for person to work out the care needed. The most appropriate type and length of respite varies depending on the particular needs of both carer and cared for person. Care can include home care; day care; respite in care homes and very sheltered housing; or short breaks.

Home care services

Care at home can be provided so the carer has a break from their care responsibilities. This service takes place at home.

Day care for the cared for person

Day care services provide a break for the cared for person outside the home in a community setting. Day care is available throughout Aberdeenshire.

Care home and very sheltered housing respite

We provide respite in traditional settings in very sheltered housing complexes and care homes. Respite can be arranged in a dedicated room in a care home or in a respite flat in a very sheltered housing complex, if the level of care needed by the cared for person can't be met by community based support.

We have furnished flats in our very sheltered housing complexes for short break respite care. Find out about these respite flats:

Each of our care homes have dedicated rooms which can be used for respite. We also commission dedicated respite rooms in private care homes across Aberdeenshire, including:

View our Traditional Respite Services for older people leaflet (PDF 271KB) for more information about accessing these services.

Short breaks 

Innovative respite, or short breaks, can be arranged in the community, for instance in a hotel or a Bed and Breakfast. More information and advice is available through our Short Breaks Bureau service.

Contact us 

If you think you, or the person you care for, need respite care or a short break please contact your local Social Work office