View updates on coronavirus (COVID-19) and council services. A postcode checker has been launched to make it easy to find out what the COVID protection level is where you live. If you are affected and need assistance, please visit Grampian Coronavirus (COVID-19) Assistance Hub.
Booking your visit to the household recycling centre
On 1st of June 2020 our recycling centres reopened by booking only. We introduced a booking system to maintaining social distancing, reduce the waiting times of visitors to each recycling centre and help manage traffic to avoid a dangerous build-up of cars on the roads. Thank you for your support and understanding as we work hard to keep the household recycling centres open while keeping everyone safe.
Alford recycling centre remains closed for refurbishment works.
On this page you can find out more about booking a visit:
- Who cannot visit a recycling centre
- Before you book a visit
- New automated barriers
- How to make a booking
- How to cancel a booking
- British Sign Language (BSL) version
Please do not visit a recycling centre if you or anyone in your household:
- Has tested positive for COVID-19
- Has COVID-19 symptoms
Here is what you need to know before you make a booking:
- We are allowing 8 visits per householder in a 4 week period
- Vehicles can only come to a recycling centre when you have booked a slot - there are no exceptions and vehicles without a booking will be turned away
- One visit to site per booking, separate bookings required for multiple visits
- Sort your waste before leaving home so that you can unload it as quickly as possible into the correct containers
- Maintain physical distancing whilst taking your materials into the correct containers. We will limit the number of people on site to make sure this is possible
- Wash your hands before and after your visit (and wear gloves if possible)
- Ensure any COVID-19 contaminated waste is left for 72 hours (3 days) before double-bagging and bringing to site
- Pedestrian access is available daily between 12.00pm and 12.30pm at the following centres: Fraserburgh, Huntly, Insch, Laurencekirk, Portsoy, Turriff and Westhill (no pre-booking is required); this is for those without a vehicle only - please do not park your vehicle outside the centre and walk in as this can cause spillages and issues for passing traffic
New automated barriers using cameras with automated number plate recognition system to check your booking are being commissioned at the recycling centres. Please make sure you enter your vehicle registration correctly when you book to avoid any delays and remember to stop at the barrier when you arrive at the centre. Site attendants will be available to resolve any issues.
To make a booking, you must:
- Be a resident of Aberdeenshire
- Bring household waste only – trade waste is not allowed
Slots are released daily 7 days in advance, so please keep on checking back if you don’t manage to get a slot initially.
For those who don't have access to internet, telephone booking can be made by calling the council’s Wasteline on 03456 081207.
Please note that booking confirmation emails can be significantly delayed at busy times, please wait a good while before contacting us.
If you need to change your car registration after booking, please cancel your booking (using a link in your confirmation email) and rebook.
Trailer and van bookings - please ensure you select a trailer or van as your vehicle type in the dropdown menu, as we need to allow more space for trailers and vans and cannot allow them in with a car booking. We cannot change the vehicle type after you have made a booking, so please cancel your car booking and rebook for trailer or van.
You will receive an e-mail confirmation with the details of your booking. The e-mail contains a link which allows you to cancel your booking, follow the instructions in the e-mail.
If you are a British Sign Language (BSL) user, please watch a video highlighting our arrangements for household recycling centres.