Waste and recycling service changes - 2019 to 2023 strategy
The waste strategy 2019 to 2023 for Aberdeenshire was approved by councillors in January 2019. This is a 5 year strategy that aims to maximise reuse and recycling. In addition to providing more information to residents about what and how to recycle, the strategy also involves changes to the kerbside collection service and the recycling centres.
To develop the strategy, the council consulted the public through the Big Recycling Challenge survey and focus group were run in February 2018 to get feedback on some of the proposals. A public consultation on the resulting draft waste strategy was carried out in September 2018.
Find out more information about the new strategy:
Kerbside collection changes
Around 70% of the waste we produce is recyclable using the existing recycling services. To maximise recycling, we are changing how often the bins are emptied, moving to a 3-weekly collection cycle (one bin and a food waste caddy emptied every week):
- Week 1: Food waste caddy and non-recyclable waste bin
- Week 2: Food waste caddy and blue recycling bin
- Week 3: Food waste caddy and blue recycling bin
The materials that can be recycled on the kerbside remain the same, the only difference is that we empty the recycling bin more often (twice in every three weeks). The new kerbside service will be rolled out in 2020.
To maximise reuse and recycling at recycling centres, we are:
- increasing the number of materials that can be recycled
- increasing the number of staff to help you recycle as much as possible
- providing more opportunities for reuse
To make this all possible we will divert business waste to waste transfer stations, stop collecting tyres and asbestos, improve the layout at recycling centres and close the smallest recycling centres (Gardenstown, Hatton and Whitehills) which don't have space for all the materials.
Also, more consistent opening hours at recycling centres and at times convenient to households are introduced.
- 6th April 2019 - New seasonal garden waste recycling points start
- 29th April 2019 - New opening hours at recycling centres (except Alford and Portlethen)
- 3rd June 2019 - Vehicle tyres and asbestos no longer accepted for disposal
- July and August 2019 - More staff employed at recycling centres to help households to recycle as much as possible
- 2020 (date to be confirmed) - Kerbside waste and recycling collection service moves to a 3-weekly cycle (households will be contacted by post before the new collection cycle starts)
- 2020 (date to be confirmed) - Business waste moved from recycling centres to waste transfer stations
- 2020 to 2022 - More reuse and recyclable materials collected at recycling centres
Notification of changes
How we notify you of changes:
- changes to services advertised in advance on the council’s website, social media, through local media and at recycling centres as appropriate
- changes to kerbside services notified to households by post
To keep up to date with the latest developments, follow us on Facebook AberdeenshireWaste.