Kerbside collection changes
Around 70% of the waste we produce is recyclable using the existing recycling services. To maximise recycling, we are changing how often household bins are emptied. We are:
- moving to a 3-weekly collection cycle
- introducing an orange-lidded bin
These changes are rolled out from April 2023 beginning in the Kincardine and Mearns area and will take up to a year to roll out across Aberdeenshire. We will contact you by post when the new service will be rolled out in your area.
We are updating our systems to reflect these changes. The myAberdeenshire app has not been updated yet.
3-weekly bin collections
Here is the 3-weekly collection cycle:
- Recycling week 1 - blue-lidded bin
- Recycling week 2 - blue-lidded bin or, if you already have one, orange-lidded bin
- Refuse week 3 - black bin
- Food caddy and battery bags collected weekly
View the Cruden Bay bin collections calendar (PDF 93KB).
The materials that can be recycled on the kerbside are the same. The only difference is the introduction of an additional bin for recycling to allow the separation of paper, card and cardboard from the remaining mixed containers. This will increase the quality and capacity for recycling materials.
If you already have an orange-lidded bin, here is what you can put in each bin:
- Blue-lidded recycling bin: paper, card and cardboard
- Orange-lidded bin: metal tins, cans, aerosols and foil, food and drink cartons, plastic bottles, pots, tubs and trays
- Black refuse bin: non-recyclable waste only
- Food caddy: tea bags and coffee grounds, out-of-date food including meat and fish, plate scrapings and leftovers, meal preparation waste, compostable food packaging, compostable coffee cups, compostable cutlery
If you are on a 3-weekly collections but don't have the orange-lidded bin yet, please put all your recycling in the blue-lidded bin.